
This picture was taken in 1959 in Rochester, Minnesota by my dad. The subjects are my beautiful mom and oldest brother, John. My family has grown significantly since this moment in time, but the same feelings of love and harmony exist in the West household. Being a newlywed, it makes me wonder what's in store for our family? I'm sure my mom wasn't thinking a) she would have another baby running around the house 20 years after this shot was taken, b) she would end up living in southern California after growing up in a small town in Chihuahua, Mexico, c) she would be pregnant for about 7 1/2 years of her life (not at one time...that would make for one huge baby) or d) she would start a foundation to help raise money for schools in Redlands and would have a day named after her-the Donna West Day. I'm sure she never expected any of those things, but that's how the last 50+ years have gone.
Sometimes, I wish our time period was a bit simpler, kind of like what is displayed in this picture, but time moves forward and life changes, usually for the better. I don't think I'll be pregnant for a total of 7 1/2 years, but I'm excited to see what the future holds.

10 comments:
What a fun picture of your mom. Simple but it tells a story. I'm so happy for you! You seem totally happy and your wedding pics were georgeous! Your dress was fantastic! I'm still in Utah, BTW (I think you asked me that). Things are good. Same but good.
Good thoughts . . . I do wish life was simpler sometimes too . . . like Little House on the Praire . . .
Hey Nellie! This is Rachel (Guymon) Fullmer. I just saw your wedding pics on Jayne's blog and you two look fabulous. What a gorgeous day to get married! Anyway, I totally wish life were simpler. Did you know that Hillary and her hubby live in Rochester, MN. Anyway, fun pic and very nostalgic.
I love everything about this post. The picture and the mood it sets, your thoughts and what the future holds. Your mother's accomplishments. No wonder you are such an amazing person. You have an amazing mother. :) I'm glad I'm a part of your life.
Loves.
OK, that's just a cool picture!
everything about this post is awesome. what a great great photo. isn't is fantastic to see your parents as youngsters just starting out?
True. I like where you're going and the question you allude to...what is going to happen in your life? It's funny how much a life can change over time. I hope you don't get stuck being pregnant that long.
You've been tagged! See our blog for instructions!
I love that picture of mom and John. Life really did seem simpler back then. Hey Nellie, do you think you could get a 5 x 7 or an 8 x 10 of that picture of our kids from your wedding? Let me know how I can pay for it.
what a great picture! I love what you wrote. Inspiring.
Post a Comment