Wednesday, February 17, 2010

on the verge of extinction?

Have yellow page directories lost their usefulness in our society? Sadly enough, this question plagues my mind every day. Why? Because I do marketing and I just don't know if enough people use them to justify spending thousands of dollars on them each year. I know that people age 65+ probably use them, and possibly people who don't have Internet access (I can't imagine there are too many people out there in the latter situation-well, at least people who are looking for a dermatologist), but that's about it. Okay, I guess I used them this weekend to find a U-Haul company, but it's a rare occasion when I open that big, yellow book sitting in a dark cabinet.

So, I pose a question to any readers of this blog:

Do you use the yellow pages?

If so, would you use them to find a physician?

Please enlighten me.

5 comments:

The last Unicorn said...

yellowpages.com count? I use the internet for all my searches. The only thing I think people use the books for are booster chairs and door stops :)

Jackie B. said...

i only use the internet. tho i guess there have been a time or two in the last 5 years that i've cracked it open. i've thought about stashing one in the car for when we are "out and about" and we need a number. (We don't have internet on our phones.) Yeah i probably wouldn't use it to find a doc.

Erin said...

And even though no one uses them anymore they somehow still justify raising the advertising cost each year, right?

The problem is that somehow if you aren't in the yellow pages when someone does happen to look for you, you don't exist.

Amy said...

No and No...Internet is how I do all of my searching.

lilcis said...

Our yellow pages go straight to the recycle bin. I'm totally dependent on Google searches now. And no way would I use the yellow pages to find a physician. I'd try to find online reviews and references for them. I Google all my doctors, and big props go to those that have their own websites.