Wednesday, February 18, 2009

the book thief

This book made me sob. Literally. It doesn't matter that the characters weren't real, I wept at the end. I finished it while Kent and I were hanging out in our hotel room in Pismo Beach, but I didn't want him to know I was crying, so I turned the other direction. That didn't work though because my eyes and nose were running all over. I managed to stifle a few sniffles, but once I was done with the last page, I hopped up and headed straight to the bathroom where I let everything out. I couldn't even talk to Kent about the book after I came out because it would bring on a surge of emotion. It was that touching.

Anyway, this book is worth reading. I don't want to say much about it other than it takes place in Germany during World War II and is narrated by Death. Death. How fascinating is that? Personify death and have him tell the story. It's pretty genius. I know there are many World War II stories out there, but if you're looking for a good book that you can't put down, you might want to check out "The Book Thief". It is worth a few hours of your time.

5 comments:

kristib said...

Excellent! I'm always on the hunt for a good book. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad you guys had a fun trip-it looks great.

CoCo said...

This has been on my to-read list. Glad to hear it has your endorsement. Maybe I will move it up the queue.

Lindsey said...

I'm going to have to read this one. I laughed at how you turned the other way when you were crying. I always do that! Except I never hear the end of it b/c my tears usually turn on during dumb smutty tv. Like last night during grays anatomy I was heaving balling. I still haven't heard the end of that one.

Thanks for the book tip! I'm going to look it up for sure!

Coulio said...

Hey Miss Nellie, I'm sold, I'm picking that book up immediately. Thanks for the suggestion. Your Valentines looked absolutely magnificent! I'm jealous. I accidentally thanked the wrong guy for a flower delivery on Valentines which just gave me yet another reason to want to be married....so much less confusion! Glad you are happy and well!

Love,
Jen

Bentley +1 said...

I just said last night that I need a good book to read, so I will definitely check this out.