About a month ago, I heard a commercial on the radio for Doublemint gum and I immediately fell in love with the song. It was so good. I couldn't even tell it was a commercial. I hadn't heard anything THAT good since:
double, double your refreshment,
double, double your enjoyment,
oh oh oh,
no single gum double freshens your mouth like,
doublemint, doublemint,
come on and double it,
doublemint,doublemint,
Gum.
(I did some research on the new Doublemint song and discovered it is actually part of a "real" song by Chris Brown called Forever. I LOVE it. Kind of cheesy, but so catchy.)
Anyway, hearing this commercial, I was reminded of all of the great jingles Doublemint has put out over the years. It took me back to the days when my sister and I used to lie on the family room floor watching Three's Company while my mom made dinner. (It wasn't until later that I learned that most of my other Mormon friends weren't allowed to watch that show. I guess Jayne and I were rebels? Either that or my mom was burnt out from raising so many kids she didn't know what we were watching.) We also used to watch Mr. Mom and Romancing the Stone over and over. Classics, no? Oh, and we also couldn't wait until Christmas to get one of those new Corn Silk Cabbage Patch Kids or a Pound Puppy. Those were the days.
Below is a a brief history of Doublemint gum jingles. Enjoy your trip through the decades via consumerism tactics:
I'm not familiar with this jingle, but the vests, hair and sketches make for one great early 80s commercial.
I remember this one, the hats blowing off in the wind, the smooth, overtaken Varnet-wearing men swooping them off the ground, handing them to the short haired, blond twins in metallic green swimsuits, but it's the same song from above. I don't know why I couldn't remember the tune until today. Maybe because I was 5 or 6? Who knows.
THIS is the jingle I will remember forever. It's right up there with Big Red and Juicy Fruit. Wrigley's really knows how to get into my mind.
Current day Doublemint commercial. Great dancing, good lighting, cool effects...Wrigley's did it again.
EXTRA
For your listening and viewing pleasure, I've also included the Chris Brown 'Forever' video. This song puts me in a great mood and makes me want to dance every time I hear it. Warning: It's a typical music video-guy shows up at a warehouse, opens up a stick of gum, starts doing some funky dancing with his cronies, sees a beautiful girl, wants to dance with her, she climbs to the top of a tall building, falls, he catches her, they start dancing, they stop dancing, guy gets into his car, and drives out of the warehouse into oblivion-you'll love it.
Beauty School Drop Out
9 years ago

3 comments:
What a great post Nellie! Gosh--are we "old" now? Those old commercials were barely from yesterday! I feel like I went through time and found myself wanting to dance like in the good ol' days of stake dances! Those were the best--oh, to be free to dance again!
hahaha. i remember some of those commercials. LOL. They look so cheesy. I listened to the Chris Brown song. I quite enjoyed it and found myself dancing in my work chair. :)
Nellie, I love all of those Double Mint commercials. So classic. I absolutely LOVE that Forever song by Chris Brown. I didn't know that he did a commercial for Double Mint with that awesome song. Those were the days...I have so many great memories of us growing up together Nells! I love you.
Post a Comment